edit: This project followed the interior replacement project found here:
While pulling out the seats I found out the carpet was so much worse than I had originally thought. This was about the same time I had found a good deal on a newer Tige Z3. I ended up buying the Tige and was now the owner of two boats. My wife thought I should just sell the Malibu and stop dumping money into it, but I had come this far and the old girl deserved some new carpet.
I did the carpet over the 4th of July holiday. Phoenix gets stupid hot in the summer, but it was only 108 degrees that day. Almost bearable with the assistance of my shade fort that I made with a boat cover and an EZup.
The existing carpet pulled up pretty easy but left a layer of glue that was crazy sticky. I used a hot gun and a trowel to remove as much as I could, but when I did a test fit it screwed-up some of the carpet when I tried to pull the carpet back out and some of the carpet fibers got stuck in the glue. To overcome the sticky problem, I put down a temporary layer of plastic. I ended up leaving the existing carpet under the port side seats as it was in relatively good shape and it allowed me to not have to use the bit of carpet that got ruined.