Jump to content
  • projects-database-banner3.png

  • Share your completed boat projects!  DIY or Professional Installs

    Imagine a single giant database of boat projects for all brands, organized by category, boat type or budget.   Share your projects, find inspiration for a new upgrade, or learn the basics or low budget solutions from projects before you.   We can all share and learn from each other in one place.  

    No project is too plain, cheap or lame to post... all will be helpful to someone.  Let's build this!!!!

    Please register or log in first:

    1) Pick a category

    2) Click "Add New Project"

    3) Update your project anytime!

    ***Professional Shops are also welcome to showcase custom work for any category, but you must designate your company name under "installation shop"  with included info.

  • Carpet replacement for 2002 Malibu VLX

    • Year: 2002 Brand: Malibu Model / Trim: VLX Cost: (unspecified) DIY or Professional Install: I installed it

    edit:  This project followed the interior replacement project found here:



    While pulling out the seats I found out the carpet was so much worse than I had originally thought.  This was about the same time I had found a good deal on a newer Tige Z3.  I ended up buying the Tige and was now the owner of two boats.  My wife thought I should just sell the Malibu and stop dumping money into it, but I had come this far and the old girl deserved some new carpet. 






    I did the carpet over the 4th of July holiday.  Phoenix gets stupid hot in the summer, but it was only 108 degrees that day.  Almost bearable with the assistance of my shade fort that I made with a boat cover and an EZup. 


    The existing carpet pulled up pretty easy but left a layer of glue that was crazy sticky.  I used a hot gun and a trowel to remove as much as I could, but when I did a test fit it screwed-up  some of the carpet when I tried to pull the carpet back out and some of the carpet fibers got stuck in the glue.  To overcome the sticky problem, I put down a temporary layer of plastic.  I ended up leaving the existing carpet under the port side seats as it was in relatively good shape and it allowed me to not have to use the bit of carpet that got ruined.







    Carpet install was pretty straight forward. I glued down the carpet it 3'-4' sections using contact cement.  It took all day and my head was spinning from the fumes, but it came out really nice.  It was definitely worth the effort, now it feels like a new boat.







    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...