Jump to content

tunafoot

Members
  • Content Count

    77
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    21

tunafoot last won the day on September 4

tunafoot had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

64 Excellent

2 Followers

About tunafoot

  • Rank
    Project Hack
  • Birthday 10/12/1971

Boat Info

  • Boat
    2013 Malibu 21' VLX

Location

  • Location
    Phoenix AZ

Recent Profile Visitors

514 profile views
  1. I don't have a upholstery background, but it's pretty easy. There is only a couple stitches that you will need to use. You'll need a walking foot industrial sewing machine that can found on craigslist for $400-600 . The key is use marks about every 6 inches to line up the pieces and to cut an accurate pattern and if the existing vinyl has a odd curves from being stretched for years, you'll need to make the new pattern have the same odd curve so it will match how the foam has been squished. Theres some great videos on Sailrite that show you everything you need to know.
  2. Bought it sight unseen from a dealer in New York for $15K. I'll start a thread this week.
  3. just picked up a 2013 Malibu 21' VLX Wakesetter Current projects include. removing spiders and a total restoration.
  4. Buy the marine grade carpet. I usually get the supplies from a local upholstery supply shop, but if you want to order it online try https://www.albrightssupply.com/
  5. On the project you had with your 2002 Malibu, the surf gates when they were closed, did you have any problems with the top of the closed gates hitting the water passing along the side of the boat? My boat is resulting in a similar design and I am concerned to continue thinking that it would be a significant issue.

  6. The orange bimini that was on it was in the way if you wanted to add tower speakers. I had a free weekend and thought I'd try to see if I could make a new Bimini top before the new owner picked up the boat.  was able to reuse the stainless bars. I changed up the mounting location of the bimini bars to make the over-the-top bimini work. I used some strapping tape to hold the bars in the new position and used plastic to make a new pattern.  I have never tried to make a bimini, but it came out better
  7. I found a bunch of spider cracks on the bottom of the boat. I have no idea how long they had been there. Looks it had been awhile and I didnt check under the boat when I bought it. At this point I had taken a deposit from I guy that bought it from California sight unseen.. I didn't want to sell it to the next guy in this shape so I figured I'd fix the cracks before he picked it up  I ground out the cracks using a Dremmel tool, then filled the cracks with color matched gelcoat material from Spectrum Color. Malibu had used two different colors of white in 2002. "Moon Beam" or
  8. edit: This project followed the interior replacement project found here: While pulling out the seats I found out the carpet was so much worse than I had originally thought. This was about the same time I had found a good deal on a newer Tige Z3. I ended up buying the Tige and was now the owner of two boats. My wife thought I should just sell the Malibu and stop dumping money into it, but I had come this far and the old girl deserved some new carpet.  I did the carpet over the 4th of July holiday. Phoenix gets stupid hot in the summe
  9. The interior was in pretty good shape for a 16 year old boat. The part that really bugged me was that the sun deck was spray painted by the previous owner to try to hide a cigarette burn that he tried to fix. Also wasnt a big fan of the orange welting. There were also a couple seat covers that had been replaced and didn't match the rest of the boat.  I wasn't able to find material that matched the factory upholstery, so I decided to swap out the perforated material for a light grey. But after seeing how bad the old seats
  10. Added some surf pockets and they work awesome. So much easier than using the surf racks and should be a little easier on the boards. First I laid out the boards and outlined with chalk My DAKINE bag was already the perfect shape. Figured I'd just use it as a pattern I bought some mesh from the local upholstery shop, it was $6.95/yd. Also got some sunbrella seconds for $12.95/yd and nylon edging I ended up using a layer of sunbrella between the Bimini and a layer of mesh. I doubt the mesh will hold up as well as the
  11. Incredible job on the floor. I just re-did the carpet on my vlx this week and it was a ton of work. I can only imagine how many hours it took to pull this off.
  12. nice job, looks like it was done at the factory
  13. Big thanks to everyone at the wake garage, after seeing all the completed surfgate projects I figured it was time to upgrade my system this year. Last year I had made a suck gate that worked pretty good for the first couple times out, but then it decided to quit sucking. It would work for a run or two then fall off. I first taped off the boat and lined up the outside edges. The transom isn’t flat, but there is about 8” tall area that fit the hinges I used the fast Lenco actuators and HDPE I had picked up from a local plastic supplier. It was $20 for
×
×
  • Create New...