Jump to content
  • projects-database-banner3.png

  • Share your completed boat projects!  DIY or Professional Installs

    Imagine a single giant database of boat projects for all brands, organized by category, boat type or budget.   Share your projects, find inspiration for a new upgrade, or learn the basics or low budget solutions from projects before you.   We can all share and learn from each other in one place.  

    No project is too plain, cheap or lame to post... all will be helpful to someone.  Let's build this!!!!

    Please register or log in first:

    1) Pick a category

    2) Click "Add New Project"

    3) Update your project anytime!

    ***Professional Shops are also welcome to showcase custom work for any category, but you must designate your company name under "installation shop"  with included info.

  • Fixing Gel Coat Spider Cracks 2002 Malibu VLX

    • Year: 2002 Brand: Malibu Model / Trim: VLX Cost: $0-$249

    I found a bunch of spider cracks on the bottom of the boat.  I have no idea how long they had been there.  Looks it had been awhile and I didnt check under the boat when I bought it.  At this point I had taken a deposit from I guy that bought it from California sight unseen.. I didn't want to sell it to the next guy in this shape so I figured I'd fix the cracks before he picked it up


    I ground out the cracks using a Dremmel tool, then filled the cracks with color matched gelcoat material from Spectrum Color.  Malibu had used two different colors of white in 2002.  "Moon Beam" or "Bright White"


    I couldn't find a Malibu color chart so I took a chance and ordered a quart of the bright white. 



    I didn't snap any pics of the repair process but what I did was use a layer of masking tape around the cracks to keep from sanding into the existing gelcoat.  I used a paint brush to fill the crack with as much gelcoat as I could get in there.  The gelcoat is pretty runny and you aren't able to get much to stick with it being on the underside of the boat.  In hindsight I should have used plastic to help force it into the crack.  I keep thinking that one more coat with a paint brush would do it...I ended up filling and sanding it 10 times.  For the final finish I  sanded with 180, 300 1000, 1500 grit and then used a polisher with Meguiars Mirror Glaze #49 Oxidation Remover to buff to a shine. 



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Awesome job.   I'll post mine too... although my gelcoat was black and you can kinda see the cracks still even though it's perfectly smooth and was color matched.   I think another summer in the sun will fix that though... and yes I'm the only one who even notices/sees it.    Much better than cracks!

    Another good trick is to drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack, to keep the underlying crack from continuing.  Then fill in with gel coat, etc.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...