I've been eye-balling the surf platform projects for a while now but my wife wasn't on board because she appreciated the rail around the old platform when it came time to get out of the water. Well after seeing the user on here add a ladder to their platform, she was convinced. What better way for project approval then to sell it as a mod for her? So I got started.
I came across the dimensions below on the supra/moomba Facebook group and went this route.
I began by making two cardboard templates. This ensured i could fit 2 cut outs on a single 4×8 sheet.
I used a sanded ply wood. Not marine grade (as I cant locate any nearby), not pressure treated (epoxy doesn't adhere to it as well). Just one with an exterior glue between layers.
Next step was to cut out the two 3/4" layers, screw together and sand the edges to fit together. I also added a 3rd layer of rectangle blocks at the mounting bracket location for a bit more height over the water.
Add hardware and test fit.
I went with a 4 step ladder over 3 steps just for delivery date reasons. 3 is probably plenty. Also standard on my boat is the grill mount on the platform. Not pictured.
Also not pictured is the corners were routed and once I was happy with the location of all the hardware, I drilled the holes out a good bit larger for epoxy.
Next step, pull everything off and separate your layers. Laminate the two main layers of the platform, reinstall screws with epoxy and do the same for the lift blocks.
During the first coat of epoxy I used the excess to start filling the over sized holes for my mounting hardware.
I chose to add black dye to the epoxy, that way its permanently black in the event of scratches or the like.
I went for 3-4 coats per side then did some sanding
Then did a layer mixed with filler and sanded smooth. Lacking good pics
I did an additional 3-4 coats of epoxy over that as well. I then Re-drilled the pilot holes for my hardware. Kinda ugly.
Since the epoxy isn't really uv stable, I did a gloss black rattle can paint job, prime and paint. Basic...
I reinstalled all the hardware and did the 3m 4200 (I think, the semi permanent sealant).
To finish it out i had the absolute perfect amount of leftover eva foam from my floor project.
On the boat:
EDIT: at this height, the platform does not touch the wave and appears the ladder only gets a little splashufrom the FAE. Also when anchored the bottom of the ladder bracket sits about even with the water line.
Then to combat the sun as well I sewed up a cover for it. Included a small pocket for the drain plug when parked.