Jump to content
  • projects-database-banner3.png

  • Share your completed boat projects!  DIY or Professional Installs

    Imagine a single giant database of boat projects for all brands, organized by category, boat type or budget.   Share your projects, find inspiration for a new upgrade, or learn the basics or low budget solutions from projects before you.   We can all share and learn from each other in one place.  

    No project is too plain, cheap or lame to post... all will be helpful to someone.  Let's build this!!!!

    Please register or log in first:

    1) Pick a category

    2) Click "Add New Project"

    3) Update your project anytime!

    ***Professional Shops are also welcome to showcase custom work for any category, but you must designate your company name under "installation shop"  with included info.

  • Sign in to follow this  

    Stainless Surf Exhaust


    SONICJK
    • Year: 2001 Brand: Tige Model / Trim: 23V Cost: $0-$249 DIY or Professional Install: I installed it / created it Platform Type: Teak Engine Type: 350

    I've been meaning to make this for a while but finally got to it yesterday. 
    I Started with 2 mandrel bent stainless 90's (available on amazon, or summit etc) and 1 12" section of 3" Stainless tube (i had it in the shop, but also available at amazon or summit etc)
     

    Oddly enough the mandrels were a Perfect fit even before any trimming so all I had to do was square the ends and weld them together. 

    MVIMG_20190925_163503.jpg.192f1cc533cfde6fd92eb7fac21f1f24.jpg

    Once welded I notched the tube for the downpipe and marked where it would go. Cut that out with a plasma and then used a die grinder to clean it up. This could also easily be done with a dremel. 
    For the downpipe I slash cut it and then put it in a vise to taper the end to hopefully avoid as much spray as possible. 

    MVIMG_20190925_173122.jpg.266297aaa1941e49bcbf58c026fe4db3.jpg

    Then it was welded up and test fit:

    MVIMG_20190925_174309.jpg.b45899cbf7ff081fd67ea4c2692321aa.jpg
    From there I cut some stainless flanges:

    MVIMG_20190925_182319.jpg.09ba4e75ae3f72b50dfa394dc1b469a4.jpg


    The original plan was to do it without any couplers, just bolt it on. 
    However once I started that process it's damn near impossible to get the screw holes aligned and the angles correct so I caved and just sliced the ends off and put couplers on. 
    I can't fit my boat in my shop and I was too lazy to drag a welder out into the driveway, otherwise I would have just put it together and tacked it on the boat to fit. 
    This picture is before cleanup and squaring etc. I decided to have to tubes extend into the factory exhaust as it's a tight fit and I think it will add some support and take some stress off the screw holes. 

     

    MVIMG_20190925_185121.jpg.0bbc80789d85447a8b396a59f73678f6.jpg
    Now I just need to add a support to the swim deck mount and I'll be good to go! That will pull the angle up a bit, as it sits it's sagging a bit under it's own weight in the silicone couplers. 
    IMG_20190925_185450.jpg.dc45dcb1ae8a9ec5924f08c5ecd861a2.jpg

    Added a mount to the swim deck this afternoon and cleaned everything up a bit. 

     

     

    MVIMG_20190926_172248.jpg.e2e603beda25b90f70393d56e8ddba0f.jpg

     

    MVIMG_20190926_174358.jpg.3c5e19ff23ef8f2970b2f286f1091bd1.jpgMVIMG_20190926_175932.jpg.43e21a2b39454acebab327f25dd15ca4.jpg

    MVIMG_20190926_175937.jpg.cbca694d6755c0c2b572a382e8d47bdc.jpg

     

    Total cost ~100 + roughly 2 hours of my time. 

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    "Total cost ~100 + roughly 2 hours of my time. "   <---     Hey no bragging!   haha

    Not surprised you whipped up a surf exhaust quicker than watching a movie.  Nice.    Looks clean.

    I made mine last summer? Or one before?  I forget.   But I used an oval exhaust shape for the drop to the water portion... so I didn't vice it.   But then wondered if I should have squeezed it thinner... so weeks later I squeezed it into more of a teardrop shape after I'd already been using it.  Didn't notice a difference but it really didn't spray anyway.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Thanks,

    I think oval and bigger would have been better but this is what I had so hopefully it works, I'm slightly concerned about the straight 90 and no curvature to the exit, but it seems to work for everyone else lol


    I think the ideal would be to do a merge collector instead of the 90 degree exit (like you did on yours, which is awesome by the way) and I may do that at some point if I'm not happy with this one. 

    Edited by SONICJK

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Got out on the water this weekend.

    WOW sure does make a noise difference. Totally different boat, I can now easily hear the tower speakers while surfing and even talk to people in the boat. 

    I noticed a bit of power loss, and I can smell it running rich. Plannning on swapping to EFI this winter so that should fix that. 

    No noticeable effect on the wave. 
    I'm probably going to open up the transition a bit with some additional tube this winter so it's not a straight 90Degree bend. 
     

    Edited by SONICJK

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...