Jump to content
  • projects-database-banner3.png

  • Share your completed boat projects!  DIY or Professional Installs

    Imagine a single giant database of boat projects for all brands, organized by category, boat type or budget.   Share your projects, find inspiration for a new upgrade, or learn the basics or low budget solutions from projects before you.   We can all share and learn from each other in one place.  

    No project is too plain, cheap or lame to post... all will be helpful to someone.  Let's build this!!!!

    Please register or log in first:

    1) Pick a category

    2) Click "Add New Project"

    3) Update your project anytime!

    ***Professional Shops are also welcome to showcase custom work for any category, but you must designate your company name under "installation shop"  with included info.

  • LARGE bilge pump


    Rugger
    • Year: 2007 Brand: Malibu Model / Trim: 247 LSV Cost: $0-$249 DIY or Professional Install: I installed it

    Not a big project --- but after having a few instances over the years where we ended up with a lot of water in the boat (don't ask), as well as after drilling more and more ballast ports to allow water in --- I had always wanted to add a second bilge pump to my boat as a safety net.   Mine did not come with one.    I did this project last summer.

    And if you're going to do it... might as well go big.  I opened up a lot of space in the rear of the bilge when I redid the exhaust.   So I bought a larger pump than hopefully I'll ever need, a Johnson 2200.    My stock bilge pump is a 750 gph.  I moved that one forward a little bit in the bilge, which made it lower and serves as the primary bilge pump, and then secured the big daddy Johnson 2200 in the rear corner... about the only place I could fit it.   I mounted the floating switch so it will be the backup/OMG/secondary pump.  

    The new pump comes with a 1 1/2 and 2" output ports.  I used the 1 1/2" and bought matching PVC hose (same as our common ballast hose, but a little bigger).  And then picked up a larger stainless port and brought it out the side of the boat... so it just sits in line with the ballast ports.

    Not a big project... but a little extra piece of mind / safety net.    I filled up the bilge with water to test it and then powered the new pump.... it was cool to see how much volume could shoot out the side.

    IMG_5902.JPG

     

    IMG_5906.JPG

     

    Enlarged and beveled out the hole for the stainless thru-port with a Dremel.   

    IMG_5905.JPG

    IMG_9761.JPG

     

    This is what the Johnson 2200 pump looks like.  It's pretty large.   

     

    71d2wPTvL0L._SL1500_.jpg

    Edited by Rugger



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    2 hours ago, freeheel4life said:

    NICE! Not even water can take that Bu down now. You have a float witch in the mix on your primary as well??

    Thanks,   Yes.  The primary is a float switch and manual switch on dash.   The new secondary is just an external float switch

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...