I have an older 2006 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV that I have been continually upgrading over the years. Up until this year, we have relied on some aftermarket Ballast upgrades from Wakemakers along with a homemade suction cup style gate. Following the great advice here on the forums and using the setup from this amazing project linked below, I was finally able to get my automated surf gates installed this spring.
We have about 5 lake rides with these and so far they are working perfectly. I was never able to figure out why the GPS functionality of the controller would not work for me, so I am currently manually activating the gates as needed. I actually found that I really like the manual option as these gates are excellent for faster maneuvering in many situations to help the big heavy boat turn faster when needed. I end up using them a lot for added rudder help when turning to pick up fallen surfers or when navigating in and out of tight areas in marinas, etc.
I do plan on debugging the GPS/controller issues later on, but once boating season starts, I never seem to have time!
My build was basically the same as all the others here as it concerns the controller setup, actuators, hardware, etc. The only big change I made was that I used the XD Lenco Actuators which actually made the build more challenging due to the adapter brackets, etc not being as easy to find.
I made my own custom gates using Marine HDPE I purchased from Amazon: