Jump to content
  • projects-database-banner3.png

  • Share your completed boat projects!  DIY or Professional Installs

    Imagine a single giant database of boat projects for all brands, organized by category, boat type or budget.   Share your projects, find inspiration for a new upgrade, or learn the basics or low budget solutions from projects before you.   We can all share and learn from each other in one place.  

    No project is too plain, cheap or lame to post... all will be helpful to someone.  Let's build this!!!!

    Please register or log in first:

    1) Pick a category

    2) Click "Add New Project"

    3) Update your project anytime!

    ***Professional Shops are also welcome to showcase custom work for any category, but you must designate your company name under "installation shop"  with included info.

  • Glide Promo Ad3-01.jpg

  • Sign in to follow this  

    G3 Tower Knob Protection


    Y-Naut-Ski
    • Year: 2013 Brand: Malibu Model / Trim: VLX Cost: $0-$249 DIY or Professional Install: I installed it

    This project fixed a problem I was having with my Malibu G3 tower knobs. This fix can be used by anyone with a first generation (2010-14) G3 tower who opted for the
    tower knobs.

    IMG_7160.JPG.72bd77533f283f669b8418488dd52654.JPG

    Background: The knobs on my tower, which secure it in the upright position, kept coming loose. No matter how tight I got them, including using the built-in allen wrench
    socket, they would loosen up. Especially when towing. I had the starboard side knob come off on 4 separate tow trips. Fortunately the knob fell into the boat each time
    and not on the road. At $100 each (Malibu's price) that would have been expensive. I tried using lock washers, star washers, boosting the tower tight with a jack before
    tightening the knobs. All failed. So I set about trying to come up with a solution to keep the knobs in place and tight. I considered fabricating a leash, using some
    kind of collar made from PVC, and some other crazy ideas before I came upon the one that worked. And I also wanted the solution to look good.

    I went to Home Depot with an idea in mind. In the plumbing section I found a 2" rubber end cap for ABS pipe that fit the knob perfectly. I purchased 2 and removed the
    included hose clamps.

    IMG_7155.JPG.d93fa72d2d352b5505f1a84cb134bb2a.JPGIMG_7156.JPG.b724e0d937125b6207fad4c47389bf4b.JPG

    To secure the cap to the tower I used a 24" length of 1 1/2" nylon webbing with a quick release clamp. I had the webbing and clamps from an earlier project but those
    materials can be purchased online at McMaster-Carr or at JoAnne Fabrics. 

    I sewed the receiving end clamp permanently in place, put the end cap on the knob on the tower and placed the webbing over the end cap and over the tower bracket. I put
    the adjustable end of the quick release clamp on the webbing and adjusted the strap where I thought it should be when fastened together. I marked the strap where it
    crossed the end cap on both edges then removed the pieces. I decided on using pop rivets with washers on the inside of the cap and outside of the strap to secure the
    strap to the end cap. I drilled two 1/8" holes from the inside of the end cap opposite each other as close the the edge as possible and through the webbing. Then I
    installed the rivets and added a dab of black paint to make the rivets blend in.

    IMG_7164.JPG.cc4c5cf7189ef20c3bb5a13472326dc8.JPGIMG_7165.JPG.781fec1527a192bed448158dcb3a9a11.JPGIMG_7166.JPG.809181c36c9ca5de2382f94c6c255210.JPGIMG_7167.JPG.16ef739b18e196308a6917053247f24b.JPG

    The end result is what I loosely refer to as my tower knob jock straps. Once I have tower in the upright position the straps go one and stay on, even while on the water.

    IMG_7161.JPG.769df932d1bf2298b191939fc65e7355.JPGIMG_7162.JPG.f1a07feadfb04d85eee4b6c53f0a2279.JPG

    In the two plus years and 6000 plus miles I've had the straps on I have not only not lost a knob but not once have they even loosened up. The end cap has a slight convex
    shape to it and that helps add pressure to the knob while the snug fit of the rubber in combination with the strap keeps the knob from turning.  The total cost of
    the project was about $20 and the time was 1.5 hours. IMHO I think it looks pretty good too.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...